Cake Batter Healthy Smoothie
Whether your goals include weight loss or just fueling your family with a nourishing breakfast, this low calorie and high protein Cake Batter Healthy Smoothie is the perfect way to start the day!
Servings 1 person
- 1 scoop vanilla or cake batter flavored protein powder*
- 1.5 cups ice (or more, as desired)
- .5 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or other milk of choice)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon butter extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Optional topping: rainbow sprinkles or whipped cream
*For purposes of calculating nutritional information, I used my favorite IdealLean Cake Batter protein powder. You can substitute with a similar vanilla or cake batter flavored protein powder, but the nutritional stats will change. As an alternative, I also like Quest Vanilla Milkshake protein powder in this recipe.
You can find butter extract and almond extract in the baking aisle of most grocery stores (near the vanilla extract).
COOK'S TIPS AND RECIPE VARIATIONS:
- Make this a chocolate cake batter healthy smoothie by using chocolate protein powder and about 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder!
- Blend in any of the healthy mix-in's listed above for a nutritional boost. For instance, I often toss in some spinach and frozen sliced banana, giving my breakfast a healthy does of fruits and veggies (without impacting the taste of the smoothie).
- If you're preparing this healthy smoothie for kids, you can omit the protein powder and substitute with Greek yogurt. Since the protein powder adds not only thickness, but also flavor to the smoothie, you'll want to use a sweetened vanilla Greek yogurt or use a plain Greek yogurt and add your own sweetener, to taste. The taste and texture of the smoothie recipe with yogurt will not be quite the same as the protein powder version, but your family will still love it!
- Keep the healthy smoothie recipe low sugar by using unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a sugar free protein powder.
- I prefer whey protein for flavor and thickness in this smoothie, but if you prefer a plant-based breakfast, you can substitute with a vegan protein powder.
Serving: 1smoothie (not including sprinkles or whipped cream) | Calories: 95kcal | Protein: 20.5g | Fat: 1.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.8g | Sodium: 425.7mg | Potassium: 80.1mg | Fiber: 0.5g