This Ramen Noodle Salad is an easy side dish recipe alongside any Asian meal, or a simple dinner when you add chicken to the mix!
Chicken Ramen Noodle Salad, Chinese Chicken Salad, Ramen Noodle Salad
Servings: 6 cups
Calories: 193.2 kcal
package coleslaw mix
green onions, sliced
package chicken ramen noodles
avocado oil, canola oil, vegetable oil (or other mild salad oil)
(if you don’t have sesame oil, no problem – just substitute an extra tablespoon of avocado oil)
(can substitute with apple cider vinegar)
(2 oz) slivered almonds, toasted*
In a large bowl, combine coleslaw, green onions, and crumbled, uncooked ramen noodles.
In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, oils, vinegar, and seasoning packet from the ramen noodles.
Pour dressing over coleslaw mixture and toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving.
Just before serving, stir in almonds.
*To toast the almonds quickly, I like to place them in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for about 1 minute, or just until fragrant and golden brown. Cool completely before adding to the salad.
- Turn this into a main course by making Chicken Ramen Noodle Salad. Just add some pulled or sliced rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken or roasted chicken.
- Instead of slivered almonds, substitute with roasted sunflower seeds!
- Swap out the coleslaw mix for an equal amount of broccoli slaw, which you can purchase in packages at most grocery stores.
- For some added sweetness, stir in mandarin oranges, dried cranberries or peas.
- I strongly urge you to use the sesame oil in this dressing, because it gives the salad a unique nutty, toasted flavor that you just can't replicate with any other oil. That said, you can substitute with another mild oil (like canola, vegetable or avocado oil) in a pinch!
- This salad is best when you allow at least 1 hour for the vegetables to marinate in the dressing. The noodles get slightly softer, while still maintaining a bit of crunch. Don't stir the almonds into the salad until just before serving so that they don't get soggy. You can prepare the salad up to 24 hours in advance, although my preference is to enjoy the salad within about 6 hours.
Ramen Noodle Salad
Amount Per Serving (1 cup)
Calories from Fat 107
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 2.5g16%
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.3g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.6g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.