Crockpot BBQ Chicken
You only need 5 minutes of prep for this easy crockpot bbq chicken!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional, for serving: coleslaw, sandwich buns, pickles
In a large slow cooker, whisk together the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, smoked paprika, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper to taste.
Place the chicken in the slow cooker and spoon some of the sauce over top.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 2-3 hours.
Shred the chicken with two forks. Stir the meat back into the sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Use either boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. We find that the dark meat thighs stay a bit juicier during the slow cooking process, but they are both great.
- Pick a thick store-bought barbecue sauce, which won't get watered down and thin in the Crock Pot. We like Sweet Baby Ray's brand for this dish.
- Be careful not to overcook your chicken. I find that the chicken breast or thighs have the best texture when cooked in my slow cooker on HIGH for about 2-3 hours (at the most -- sometimes they're done in just 90 minutes). That keeps them moist and juicy, and prevents them from drying out. The meat is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Also remember — every slow cooker runs at a slightly different temperature (which is why the recipe gives you general time ranges, rather than exact times). Since my slow cooker tends to cook at a relatively high temperature, I find that the meal is best when cooked on HIGH for about 2 hours or on LOW for about 4 hours. Just get familiar with your pot and adjust accordingly.
Serving: 1/6 of the chicken | Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 1086mg | Potassium: 824mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 38g | Vitamin A: 665IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2mg