Easy Taco Casserole Recipe
This Easy Chicken Taco Casserole recipe is layered with Doritos or tortilla chips for a quick dinner that your family will love!
Servings 8 people
- 4 cups cooked, chopped (or shredded) chicken or turkey
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup (I used Campbell's Healthy Request)
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup (I used Campbell's Healthy Request)
- 1 cup sour cream (I used light sour cream, but any will work)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite-diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (16 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (or sub with 1.5 cups of additional chicken)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope taco seasoning (I used 40% less sodium, but any variety will work)
- 1 (9.75 oz) bag Doritos or corn tortilla chips, gently crushed
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I used 2% cheese, but any variety will work)
- Optional garnish: chopped tomatoes, additional sour cream, guacamole or avocado, sliced green onion, sliced olives, sliced jalapeno pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine chicken or turkey, soups, sour cream, tomatoes, beans, and taco seasoning.
Place half of the crushed chips in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the chicken mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheddar cheese.
Layer with remaining chips and finish with remaining chicken mixture.
Cover and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove cover, top with remaining 1 cup of cheese, and bake for about 10-15 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and starting to brown on top.
Garnish with optional toppings.
Recipe adapted from Campbell’s Kitchen
- Can you freeze taco casserole? Yes! I suggest assembling the casserole as instructed (but add the final layer of cheese on top), wrap tightly with plastic wrap and foil, and freeze the dish BEFORE baking. When ready to bake, thaw the casserole in the refrigerator overnight and bake according to recipe below. If you prefer to bake the dish directly from the freezer (while still frozen), leave the dish covered in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour. Remove the foil, and then continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes (or until the casserole is heated through).
- You can use any meat that you prefer -- chicken or turkey work well, so it's a great opportunity to use up leftovers!
- Set out plenty of toppings and let your family members customize their plates! Delicious options include sour cream, salsa, olives, jalapeno peppers, diced avocado or guacamole, sliced green onion, chopped red onion and fresh cilantro.
- Cooking just for two? Cut the ingredients in half and bake the casserole in an 8-inch square dish. Alternatively, prepare the ENTIRE recipe, but divide the ingredients between two 8-inch square pans. Bake one now, and freeze the other for later!
Serving: 1/8 of the casserole | Calories: 466.8kcal | Carbohydrates: 42.8g | Protein: 30.9g | Fat: 20.2g | Saturated Fat: 7.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 73.7mg | Sodium: 1466.2mg | Potassium: 475.1mg | Fiber: 5.5g | Sugar: 5.1g