Easy Pecan Pie Bars
These Easy Pecan Pie Bars are a perfect make ahead holiday dessert to serve a crowd!
Servings 24 bars
FOR THE SHORTBREAD CRUST:
- 4 sticks butter, softened
- 1 c. confectioners’ sugar
- ½ t. salt
- 2 ½ c. all-purpose flour
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled
- ⅔ c. light corn syrup
- 1 c. packed light brown sugar
- 4 t. vanilla
- 1 t. salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 c. chopped pecans
FOR THE CRUST:
In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and salt until fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Spread into a greased 13-in x 9-in baking pan. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Remove the hot crust from the oven and set aside.
FOR THE FILLING:
Whisk melted butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla and salt in a large bowl until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the eggs.
Spread the filling evenly over the warm crust and sprinkle with pecans.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
How can you tell when pecan pie bars are done? The bars are done and the pecan pie filling is ready to come out of the oven at the first signs of solidity in the center of the bars. The center might jiggle a little bit, but it should not slosh around.
- The filling will still look a bit "soft" and slightly jiggly when you pull the bars out of the oven. As the bars sit on a wire rack to cool, the filling will continue to cook and fully set. Allow the bars to cool, undisturbed, on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving.
Should you refrigerate pecan pie bars? I like to make these bars at least 1 day in advance, so that I know they will be ready to slice and serve when I need them. They will keep (covered) at room temperature on the counter for a day or two -- no refrigeration necessary. If you want them to stay fresh for a few more days, I recommend refrigerating the pecan pie bars.
- How long do pecan pie bars last? The bars will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Can I freeze the bars? Yes! If you want to prepare the bars far in advance, I suggest freezing them. Wrapped tightly, they will keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Make Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars by adding chocolate chips to the top of the bars at the same time that you add the pecans! You can also melt chocolate chips and drizzle the melted chocolate over the bars after they come out of the oven.
- Make sure that the bars are completely cool before slicing.
- Serve the pecan pie bars on their own as a casual finger-food dessert at your next holiday party.
- For a fancier, sit-down dessert, try topping the bars with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce or whipped cream. The combination can't be beat!
Serving: 1bar | Calories: 366.8kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 2.9g | Fat: 26.7g | Saturated Fat: 12.9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9.2g | Cholesterol: 67.1mg | Sodium: 301.9mg | Potassium: 100.9mg | Fiber: 1.4g | Sugar: 21.1g