Chicken Ramen Noodles in Peanut Soy Sauce
Upgrade a classic package of store-bought ramen with this simple 15-minute recipe for Chicken Ramen Noodles in Peanut Sauce! The easy dinner is fast, affordable and full of flavor!
Servings 4 people
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken breast (such as from a store-bought rotisserie chicken) (or, you can brown raw chicken in a skillet, so see notes below for that option)
- 3 (3 ounce) packages chicken flavored ramen noodles (I used Maruchan brand)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce (this makes the noodles a little bit spicy, so you can omit it if you're serving to young children)
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup coarsely chopped peanuts
For the Chicken:
If you prefer to cook your own chicken rather than purchasing store-bought cooked rotisserie chicken, start by heating 2 teaspoons of canola oil (or other mild oil) in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 lb. raw, diced chicken breast and cook, stirring regularly, until browned and cooked through. Remove from heat.
For the Sauce:
In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, peanut butter, and Sriracha chili sauce until smooth. I like to microwave the mixture for about 20-30 seconds before whisking, just until the peanut butter starts to melt, which helps the ingredients come together smoothly. The sauce will be thick, which is fine -- you will be adding cooking water to thin the mixture later. Set aside.
For the Noodles:
Bring about 6 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add 3 seasoning packets from the ramen noodle packages, as well as the ramen noodles. Boil noodles with the seasoning until noodles are tender (about 3 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove noodles to a large bowl, and be sure to reserve the cooking liquid.
While noodles are still hot, stir in cooked chicken and peanut sauce. Add cooking water, a couple of tablespoons at a time, to thin the sauce, until it reaches the desired consistency.
Garnish with green onions and chopped peanuts. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information includes chopped peanuts for garnish.
COOK'S TIPS AND RECIPE VARIATIONS:
- For a shortcut, buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and use the cooked meat right off the bird. You can skip the step of browning the chicken in a skillet!
- Add veggies! You can stir broccoli, peas, mixed vegetables, or any of your favorite veggies right into the noodles!
- Switch up the flavors! Instead of Chicken Ramen, make Shrimp Ramen Noodles by using Shrimp Flavor Ramen and adding cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp.
- Do you have sesame oil in your pantry? Add 1-2 teaspoons of sesame oil to the peanut sauce. You'll have a rich, toasty Peanut Sesame Sauce that's to-die-for!
- Like a sweet-and-salty peanut sauce? Add 1 tablespoon of honey to the mixture.
- Omit the Sriracha hot chili sauce for a mild, kid-friendly ramen dish.
Serving: 1/4 of recipe | Calories: 623kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Sodium: 2195mg | Potassium: 718mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 80IU | Vitamin C: 6.8mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 4mg