Like a Mexican version of chicken potpie, this Taco Pie is a fun twist on a favorite family dinner! Meat, seasonings, corn, and peppers are topped with cheese and a cornbread crust for an easy weeknight supper.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- ½ c. diced onion
- 1 (1 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- ¾ cup shredded Mexican 3-cheese blend
- 1 (8.5 ounce) small pkg. corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy brand)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef and onion until no longer pink. Drain.
Return meat to the skillet and stir in taco seasoning mix, bell pepper, green chiles, and ¾ cup water. Reduce heat, simmer, and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add corn and shredded cheese during the final 1-2 minutes of cooking.
Spoon beef mixture into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine corn muffin mix, egg, and milk and mix well. Spoon batter over top of pie.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until top is golden brown. If the topping starts to brown too quickly before it has cooked through, just cover the top lightly with foil and continue baking.
Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
- For convenience, you can use frozen and pre-diced vegetables. I love to keep some frozen diced onion handy in the freezer to speed things up!
- If you have leftover vegetables, be it roast or grilled you can use them up in this taco pie. Just chop them up and throw them in!
- Feel free to turn up the heat with extra chili or jalapenos.
- You can use any good melting cheese for this recipe but I like to use one with strong flavor like the Mexican blend or sharp cheddar.
- Why not serve this taco pie with your favorite Mexican toppings such as sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days or frozen.
Serving: 1/4 of the recipe | Calories: 518kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 33.5g | Fat: 14.8g | Saturated Fat: 5.7g | Cholesterol: 11.3mg | Sodium: 1341mg | Fiber: 2.8g | Sugar: 13g