Black Bean Soup Recipe
You only need 10 minutes of prep for this healthy Black Bean Soup recipe that's made in the Crock Pot!
Servings 5 cups
- ½ lb. dried black beans, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ¼ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Optional, for garnish: lime slices, sliced green onion, tortilla strips or chips, grated cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, fresh cilantro
Place all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook until beans are tender – approximately 8 hours on LOW or 4-5 hours on HIGH.
Discard bay leaf.
Use a handheld immersion blender (or a regular blender) to puree the soup until it reaches desired consistency. You can puree all of the soup to make it smooth, or only puree about half of the soup if you like a chunkier texture. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Ladle soup into individual bowls and garnish with desired toppings.
- This recipe makes a relatively small batch of soup (about 5 cups total). If you're feeding a larger crowd, double all of the ingredients. The cooking instructions remain the same.
- Puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency. It can be completely smooth, or you can puree about half of the soup so that some beans and a chunky texture remain.
- Panera's black bean soup recipe includes red bell pepper. You can add the bell pepper to this recipe as well! Just include a diced red bell pepper in the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Panera's version also has a bit of "kick" to it. If you like a spicy black bean soup, add cayenne pepper to taste!
- Try adding a can of drained corn kernels to your soup after you puree some of it.
- For a creamy black bean soup, reduce the vegetable broth to 3 ½ cups. At the end of cooking, puree the soup and then stir in ½ cup of heavy cream.
- If you're not trying to keep the soup vegetarian, you can use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth. Try making the black bean soup with sausage, too! You can stir in diced smoked sausage that has been browned in a skillet, or browned ground sausage of your choice.
- Leftovers of this black bean soup recipe will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Can I freeze Black Bean Soup? Absolutely! Packaged in an airtight container, this soup will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- How long to soak black beans? You don't need to soak the black beans at all for this slow cooker recipe! Just add the rinsed dried beans to the Crock Pot and they will be tender by the end of the day.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 157.1kcal | Carbohydrates: 34.5g | Protein: 9.5g | Fat: 0.7g | Sodium: 367.5mg | Potassium: 791.1mg | Fiber: 8.3g | Sugar: 4.6g | Vitamin A: 2315IU | Vitamin C: 7.8mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 2.7mg