Easy Chocolate Italian Love Cake
This Chocolate Italian Love Cake starts with a boxed cake mix for an easy dessert recipe that only looks fancy!
Servings 12 large slices
- 1 (15.25 oz) package chocolate cake mix, PLUS additional ingredients called for on the package (my cake mix package required 1.25 cups water, ½ cup oil, and 3 eggs)
For the Filling:
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 1 (3.9 oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup cold milk
- 16 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed (such as Cool Whip)
Prepare the Cake Batter:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick spray.
In a large bowl, mix together cake batter according to package instructions.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking dish. Spread to fill the pan evenly. Set aside (do NOT bake yet).
Prepare the Filling:
In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together ricotta cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Carefully pour the cheese mixture evenly over the top of the cake batter. Spread to cover cake as best you can (the layers will switch during baking).
Bake the cake for 1 hour.
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Prepare the Frosting:
To make frosting, whisk together pudding mix and milk until combined and slightly thickened (about 1-2 minutes). Carefully fold the whipped topping into the pudding until combined.
Spread frosting on top of cooled cake. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving.
Recipe courtesy of "Little Chefs Camp" at the Virginia Discovery Museum.
Does Italian Love Cake need to be refrigerated?
Yes! This cake tastes best after it has been refrigerated overnight. If you have leftovers, you will need to keep the cake refrigerated (or the topping will "melt").
Can Italian Love Cake be frozen?
I haven't actually tried freezing this cake, but I do believe that it should keep fine in the freezer. Just make sure that it's wrapped tightly to prevent freezer burn, and enjoy the cake within 1-2 months.
COOK'S TIPS AND ITALIAN LOVE CAKE VARIATIONS:
- Prepare this cake at least 1-2 days in advance, so that you have plenty of time to allow the cake to cool and chill before frosting and serving. The cake just gets better as it sits in the fridge!
- Check your box of cake mix to see which ingredients are required to prepare the batter. Different brands require different ingredients.
- When adding the whipped topping into the pudding, be sure to carefully fold the ingredients together. You want to preserve as much of the air in the whipped topping as possible, so do not vigorously stir.
- Vanilla Italian Love Cake: use a white cake mix. Use a box of vanilla pudding for the topping.
- Lemon Italian Love Cake: use a lemon cake mix. Use a box of vanilla pudding for the topping and add plenty of fresh lemon zest to give the topping a bright citrus flavor!
- Strawberry Italian Love Cake: use a box of strawberry cake mix. Use a box of vanilla pudding for the topping. Garnish with fresh sliced strawberries just before serving.
Serving: 1large slice (1/12 of the recipe) | Calories: 549.2kcal | Carbohydrates: 62.1g | Protein: 16.9g | Fat: 26.7g | Saturated Fat: 11.6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2.7g | Cholesterol: 142.2mg | Sodium: 637.6mg | Potassium: 186.1mg | Fiber: 1.3g | Sugar: 40.7g