Cowboy Casserole with Cornbread and Chicken
This Cowboy Casserole with Cornbread and Chicken is an easy dinner that bakes in one dish! Prep it ahead for an easy weeknight dinner or freezer meal!
Servings 4 people
- 4 cups coarsely crumbled cornbread I used about ¾ of the cornbread that was baked in an 8-inch square pan
- ¼ cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken (I used about half of the meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken)
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup (NOT diluted)
- 1 cup chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish (about 8 or 9-inch square) with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine cornbread, green bell pepper, onion, celery, and cheese.
Place half of the cornbread mixture in the prepared baking dish.
Spread chicken in an even layer over the cornbread mixture.
Whisk together soup and broth until completely combined. Pour soup mixture over the chicken. Spread remaining cornbread mixture over the chicken and gently press down to form a top crust.
Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until hot, bubbly, and golden brown on top.
COOK'S TIPS AND RECIPE VARIATIONS:
Can you freeze Cowboy Casserole?
Absolutely! This is Cowboy Casserole recipe is the perfect make ahead dinner!
You assemble the casserole in advance (on the weekend, in the morning, during afternoon naps...whenever it suits your schedule) and either keep it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours until you're ready to bake it, or wrap it tightly and pop it in the freezer.
The Cowboy Casserole will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- I use about ¾ of a prepared pan of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix for this recipe (which totals about 4 cups crumbled). For a shortcut, purchase a pan of cornbread or a batch of corn muffins from the bakery at your grocery store.
- This casserole calls for cooked, diced chicken, but you can substitute with an equal amount of cooked ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken.
- I use Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup, but you can substitute with Cream of Celery or Cream of Mushroom soup instead.
Serving: 1/4 of the casserole | Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 35.7g | Protein: 22.8g | Fat: 11.6g | Saturated Fat: 5.8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5g | Cholesterol: 60.2mg | Sodium: 1078.5mg | Potassium: 217.4mg | Fiber: 1.1g | Sugar: 7.9g