Crock Pot Italian Pot Roast
Tender, juicy, and full of flavor, this easy Crock Pot Italian Pot Roast with vegetables and gravy is a delicious dinner that the whole family will love!
Servings 6 people
- 1-2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped into large 1 ½-inch rounds
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2-3 lb. boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 packet Italian dressing seasoning mix (such as Good Seasons brand)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 6 pepperoncini, drained from a jar
- For serving: cooked pasta; mashed potatoes; or hoagie rolls
Place carrots and onions in bottom of slow cooker. Lay beef on top and sprinkle with seasoning mix. Add vinegar, red peppers and pepperoncini.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours, or until beef shreds easily with a fork.
- If you have extra time, sear the meat on both sides in vegetable oil in a Dutch oven before adding it to the slow cooker. The caramelized surface of the meat will give the dish rich flavor and the browning process will help to lock in the juices.
- For a thinner sauce, add 1 (14.5 ounce) can of beef broth to the slow cooker.
- Prep Ahead and Reheat: If you prepare the roast beef a day ahead, cover and refrigerate it overnight. The next day, skim off any solidified fat and reheat it gently in a warm oven or over low heat on the stovetop.
- Why is my slow cooker Italian pot roast tough? Undercooked roast will be tough and chewy. If you're using tougher or bigger cuts of beef (other than a chuck roast), you may need to increase the cooking time to give the meat fibers plenty of time to break down and become tender and juicy. When the chuck roast is fully cooked, it should be fall-apart tender so that it shreds very easily with two forks.
- Italian Beef Sandwiches: toast hoagie rolls. Top with beef and juices from pot and provolone cheese. Heat in a 350°F oven just until the cheese melts. Garnish with giardiniera and serve!
Serving: 1/6 of the recipe | Calories: 403.1kcal | Carbohydrates: 12.8g | Protein: 26.6g | Fat: 26.8g | Saturated Fat: 10.7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 891mg | Potassium: 278mg | Fiber: 2.7g | Sugar: 5.1g