Green Bean Salad
Enjoy all of summer's best produce with this easy Green Bean Salad! It's a simple and healthy side dish that can be prepared in advance!
Servings 10 (½-cup servings)
- 1 lb. green beans, washed, ends trimmed, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 10.5 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup finely diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried parsley)
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano (or ½ teaspoon dried oregano)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt, to taste
Cook beans in boiling water until crisp-tender (about 2-3 minutes).
Drain beans, rinse with cold water, and transfer to a bowl full of ice water. Once cool, drain the beans again and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl (or in a jar with a lid) whisk or shake together garlic, herbs, olive oil, and vinegar until completely combined. Season with salt, to taste.
Once beans are cool, add them to the bowl along with the onion and tomatoes. Toss everything together until coated in dressing. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- The ice bath instantly stops the cooking process so that your green beans stay bright green and crisp, rather than turning brownish-green and mushy. Don't skip that step!
- Add crumbled feta to your green bean salad!
- Stir cooked, chopped crisp bacon into your salad.
- For a sweeter dressing, try tossing your salad with my Italian Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing (which includes a touch of honey).
- Prep ahead! This salad will keep in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- Trim the raw green beans yourself to save money. To make this job quick, gather the beans in a small pile, line up the tips, and then cut the tips off with a single slice. Turn the pile over and repeat on the other side.
- For a shortcut, buy pre-washed, pre-trimmed fresh green beans in the produce section.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 72kcal | Carbohydrates: 5.3g | Protein: 1.2g | Fat: 5.7g | Saturated Fat: 0.8g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 185mg | Fiber: 2.1g | Sugar: 1.7g | Vitamin A: 12IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 4mg