Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyros
These slow cooker Greek gyros are loaded with flavor. Made with juicy chicken, delicious toppings and served in a soft and fluffy pita bread.
Servings 4 -6 servings
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red onion, sliced (plus additional for serving, if desired)
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Olive oil, salt, and pepper (to taste)
- For serving: pita bread or rice or salad; Tzatziki sauce; feta cheese; sliced red onion; sliced olives; sliced tomatoes; lettuce; sliced cucumber
Place chicken in a large Ziploc bag. Drizzle with olive oil. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Add oregano, basil, thyme, and garlic to the bag. Seal the bag, toss to coat the chicken. You can let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (or overnight), or you can just use it right away.
Place onion and carrots in the bottom of a slow cooker. Top with chicken and herbs from the bag. Squeeze lemon juice over top.
Cover and cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours, or on HIGH for about 2-3 hours. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Chop chicken or shred with a fork before serving.
Pile the chicken on top of pita bread, rice, or salad. Garnish with Tzatziki sauce, feta cheese, olives, and fresh veggies.
Tips and Variations - Greek Chicken Gyros
- Don't skip the Tzatziki it's extra delicious!
- Stuff the chicken gyros with red onion slices, tomatoes, cucumber and feta cheese
- Make the slow cooker chicken in advance then warm up when you're ready to serve
- The chicken can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days or freezer for a few months
Serving: 1/6 of the recipe | Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 307mg | Potassium: 1153mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 10410IU | Vitamin C: 25.7mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 2.5mg