An easy cheese grits recipe that's thick, creamy and absolutely delicious!
Course Breakfast, Dinner, Side Dish Keyword cheese grits, stone ground grits
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
In a large saucepan, bring broth and milk to a boil over medium-high heat. Whisk in the grits; season with salt and pepper to taste.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook (whisking often) until the liquid is absorbed, about 35-40 minutes.
Remove from heat, stir in cheese and butter. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Cook over very low heat and stir frequently so that your grits don't clump together or stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Garnish the cheese grits with additional toppings for even more flavor. Try herbs such as parsley or chives, crispy crumbled bacon, additional cheese, another pat of butter, or a drizzle of hot sauce.
- Serve the grits immediately, while they're still warm.
- These grits are nice and thick. If you like a thinner consistency, whisk in extra broth or milk.
- Add salt and pepper to the liquid right when you add the grits so that the grits absorb the seasoning as they cook.
Serving: 1heaping cup | Calories: 389kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 708mg | Potassium: 336mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 739IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 349mg | Iron: 1mg