Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
There's nothing more cozy than a warm bowl of this creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup on a chilly day! Best of all, it's ready in about 30 minutes.
Servings 12 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup diced celery (about 1 large stalk)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth (plus 1-2 cups extra to thin the soup, if necessary)
- 4 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 3-4 cups cooked wild rice (prepared with the seasoning mix) (such as a box of Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice Original recipe, or 2 microwaveable pouches of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice Long Grain & Wild Rice)
- 2 cups half-and-half or heavy cream, at room temperature
In a large Dutch oven, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat until the butter melts.
Add the mushrooms, onion, celery, and garlic. Sauté the vegetables until the onions are translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
Stir in the flour, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Gradually add the broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Once the liquid boils, cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
Reduce the heat to low. Add the cooked chicken, cooked rice, and half-and-half or heavy cream. Stir over low heat, just until warmed through (do not boil). Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Use half-and-half or heavy cream for the best flavor and texture. I do not recommend substituting with milk.
- Allow the half-and-half or cream to come to room temperature before you add it to the hot soup. Cold cream is more likely to curdle or separate when it hits the hot mixture.
- Taste and season as you go. The total amount of salt necessary will vary depending on the saltiness of your broth, and on personal preference. Add extra salt for more flavor, and feel free to increase the other herbs and seasonings as well.
- Garnish each bowl with fresh herbs like parsley or thyme for a pop of color and a bright touch.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 210.3kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.3g | Protein: 14.6g | Fat: 8.2g | Saturated Fat: 3.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2.7g | Cholesterol: 39.5mg | Sodium: 711.4mg | Potassium: 395.5mg | Fiber: 1.4g | Sugar: 2.2g