Easy Chicken Pot Pie
This old fashioned easy chicken pot pie recipe is the perfect cozy dinner for a chilly day!
Servings 6 people
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half (or use heavy cream or whole milk)
- ⅓ cup salted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- ½ cup frozen peas, not thawed
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (from a 14.1 ounce box)
Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish or deep-dish pie plate; set aside (or you can use a 2-quart oven-proof skillet).
In a separate bowl, whisk together chicken broth and half-and-half. Set aside.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery; sauté for 10 minutes. Add flour and continue cooking and stirring for 1 more minute. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the chicken broth mixture.
Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring regularly, until thick (about 5-6 minutes). Make sure that the mixture doesn’t boil. Stir in the salt and pepper. Add chicken and frozen peas.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish (or leave in the oven-safe skillet). Top with the pie crust, sealing and fluting the edges as desired. Cut slits into the top of the crust to allow the steam to escape.
Bake in a 400°F oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Let the pot pie rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- You can use a 2-quart casserole dish or deep-dish pie plate to bake your pot pie, or you can use a 2-quart oven-safe skillet. Using the oven-safe cast iron skillet cuts down on the dishes because the pot pie becomes a one-pot meal!
- Do not thaw the frozen peas before adding them to the filling. This helps them stay bright green, rather than turning brown and mushy after baking.
- Vent the pot pie by cutting slits in the top of the crust. This will allow steam to escape, keep most of the filling sealed inside, and prevent the crust from getting soggy.
- Let the pot pie rest for at least 10-15 minutes before serving. This gives the filling time to set so that it's not as messy when you cut into it.
Serving: 1/6 of the pie | Calories: 444.9kcal | Carbohydrates: 32.3g | Protein: 25.9g | Fat: 24.1g | Saturated Fat: 12.9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.7g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7.9g | Cholesterol: 102.1mg | Sodium: 833.6mg | Potassium: 482.9mg | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugar: 4.7g