Can Turkey Shepherd's Pie be made in advance?
Absolutely! This is a great make ahead dinner recipe! Just assemble the dish as instructed and keep in the refrigerator until ready to bake (up to overnight). You can also freeze the assembled casserole before baking to enjoy at a later date. It's a great freezer meal!
Can you cook Turkey Shepherd's Pie from frozen?
Yes! It just takes a lot longer! You can thaw a frozen shepherd's pie in the refrigerator overnight, and then proceed with baking the thawed casserole as instructed per the recipe. Alternatively, to cook from frozen, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 1½ hrs. Increase oven to 425 degrees F, uncover and cook for about 20 more minutes, until golden and bubbling.
Recipe Variations and Cook's Tips:
- Swap out the diced turkey and use diced, cooked chicken (such as a store-bought rotisserie chicken) or even cooked, ground beef, ground lamb, ground chicken or ground turkey (you will need about 2 lbs. of raw ground meat to equal about 3 cups of cooked meat).
- Pick your family's favorite vegetables! I use a frozen mixed vegetable blend that includes corn, green beans, peas, and carrots. If your family prefers just peas, or just peas and carrots, for example, use those instead!
- If your kids love cheese, try sprinkling some grated cheese over top of the potatoes before the dish goes in the oven.
- Lighten Up! With a fat-free turkey gravy and chopped turkey breast, this is already a very healthy dinner. To make your healthy shepherd's pie even healthier, feel free to swap out the mashed potatoes with an equal amount of cauliflower mash. You'll need about 3 1/2 cups of cauliflower mash to replace the potatoes. For a shortcut, try using frozen mashed cauliflower that has been thawed (such as this version by Green Giant).
What goes with Turkey Shepherd's Pie?
With meat, vegetables, and starch, this is already a complete meal! If you'd like to round out your supper with an additional option, try serving your Turkey Shepherd's Pie with:
5-Ingredient Dump-and-Bake Turkey Shepherd's Pie
Amount Per Serving (1 /6 of the pie)
Calories from Fat 82
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9.1g
Saturated Fat 4.3g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.2g
Total Carbohydrates 32.7g
Dietary Fiber 4.2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.