Apple Pie Smoothie
Full of protein and fresh fruit, this Apple Pie Smoothie is an easy and healthy breakfast or snack that's ready in just 5 minutes!
Servings 1 person
- ½ apple, diced into small pieces and frozen in advance (there’s no need to peel the apple)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder OR 1 (5.3 ounce) container Greek style vanilla yogurt use a plant-based protein powder for a vegan smoothie
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk OR other milk of choice or more, as needed, to reach desired consistency
- 1-2 cups of ice use more ice for a thicker smoothie
- ¾ teaspoon apple pie spice or substitute with ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Optional toppings: 1-2 Gingersnap cookies, crushed (or substitute with graham cracker crumbs); whipped cream
For purposes of calculating nutrition information, I used 1 scoop of Quest Vanilla Milkshake protein powder (100 calories per scoop). You can substitute with any protein powder that you prefer, or use vanilla Greek yogurt instead.
- Don't forget to freeze your diced apple in advance! The frozen fruit thickens the smoothie without watering it down.
- For a protein smoothie that's thick enough to eat with a spoon (my favorite!), use at least 2 cups of ice and just a small amount of milk to get it to blend together.
- If you want some extra fat for staying power in your smoothie, add a tablespoon or two of almond butter or peanut butter to the mix!
- Use a plant-based protein powder for a vegan apple pie smoothie recipe.
- If you don't want to use protein powder, you can substitute with a container of vanilla Greek yogurt or non-dairy yogurt. The calories and nutrition information will change, though.
- Add a dash of caramel flavor for a Caramel Apple Pie Smoothie!
- If you don't have apple pie spice you can substitute with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but you can substitute with any milk that you prefer.
- Did you know that you can now buy non-dairy versions of Reddi-Whip in a can? Now your vegan protein shake can include whipped "cream" too! I've seen both almond milk and coconut milk versions of Reddi-Whip at my local grocery store, so keep your eye out for those.
- Garnish your smoothie with any sweet, crunchy topping that you love. I think a small crushed gingersnap cookie is perfect, but you can also use granola or graham cracker crumbs!