An easy side dish recipe that's perfect for holiday gatherings or simple weeknight meals!
Servings 4 - 6 servings
- 2 packages (9 or 10 ounces each) frozen, chopped spinach
- ½ of a 10.5 ounce can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, NOT diluted (about ⅔ cup)
- ¼ cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus additional butter for topping
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or coarsely crushed Ritz crackers tossed with 1-2 tablespoons melted butter
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 1 ½-quart baking dish; set aside.
Cook spinach in microwave according to package instructions. Drain thoroughly by squeezing spinach tightly in a dish towel to wring out the extra liquid.
In a medium sauce pan over low heat, combine soup, milk, cheese, sour cream, melted butter, salt, and pepper. Stir until just warmed through and combined. Add spinach and mix well.
Transfer spinach mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with buttered breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs.
Bake casserole, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until heated through and golden brown on top.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the spinach. This will prevent the casserole from becoming watery. Wrapping it in a dish towel works perfectly for this step.
- Grate the cheese by hand, rather than purchasing a package of pre-shredded cheese. The hand-grated cheese melts smoother into the sauce.
- Full-fat sour cream and whole milk or 2% milk yield the richest, creamiest, and most flavorful sauce.
- Start with room temperature milk and sour cream, and warm them gently over very low heat. This will prevent curdling or separating.
Serving: 1/4 of the casserole | Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 1034mg | Potassium: 645mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 17274IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 463mg | Iron: 4mg