20-Minute Hawaiian Haystacks
Add some fun to your next family meal with Aunt Bee's 20-Minute Hawaiian Haystacks! A simple chicken gravy is served over a bed of rice and finished off with all of your favorite toppings for a kid-friendly, healthy and easy dinner recipe!
Servings 4 people
Toppings of choice, such as:
- Diced red bell pepper
- Diced celery
- Diced tomato
- Sliced water chestnuts
- Sliced green onions
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Slivered almonds
- Chopped peanuts
- Chow mein noodles
- Pineapple tidbits
- Shredded coconut
In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together soups and broth until smooth and hot. Add cooked chicken and simmer over low heat until warmed through.
Place toppings in individual bowls and set out on the table.
Divide rice (or cauliflower rice, mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower) between individual bowls. Spoon chicken gravy over rice. Allow each person to add desired toppings.
Nutrition information is an estimate for 1/4 of the chicken gravy. This does not include any rice, cauliflower rice, mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower. Toppings are not included in this calculation either.
- This recipe calls for cooked, diced or shredded chicken. You have a few good options, including a store-bought rotisserie chicken, store-bought cooked chicken strips (such as Perdue Shortcuts), leftover chicken from another meal, canned chicken, or chicken breasts that you cook at home on your own (in the oven or in the slow cooker).
- If you want to bake your chicken in the oven, line a dish with foil (for easy clean-up) and spray it with cooking spray. Place chicken breasts in the dish, rub them with a very small amount of oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cover tightly. Bake at 425 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes (maybe longer if your chicken is particularly thick). Allow the meat to cool slightly, then just shred, slice, or chop.
- Serve the chicken gravy over any cooked rice of your choice. You can use brown rice, white rice, or wild rice.
- As an alternative, try serving your chicken gravy over mashed potatoes!
- Lighten up the dish by using cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower instead of regular rice or potatoes.
Serving: 1/4 of the chicken gravy | Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 868mg | Potassium: 1006mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 325IU | Vitamin C: 4.1mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1.2mg