Skinny Rotisserie Chicken and Grits Casserole
A combination of chicken, cheese and barbecue sauce mix with comforting southern grits. This meal is not only super easy but healthy too!
Keyword Chicken and grits, Grits Casserole Servings 6 (1-cup servings)
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- ¾ cup fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 2 ounces finely-grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 ½ cups about 9 ounces diced rotisserie chicken
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- Sliced green onions for garnish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Combine milk and broth in a medium heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Gradually add grits and salt to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk.
Cook for 5 minutes, or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in Cheddar, butter, and cream cheese until smooth.
Stir in egg whites and chicken.
Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, or until set.
Just before serving, drizzle with barbecue sauce and garnish with green onions.
Adapted from MyRecipes.com
- Use rotisserie chicken to speed things up or alternatively use up leftover chicken you have in your fridge.
- If you have raw chicken make sure to cook it first.
- Feel free to use low-fat cheddar to reduce calories.
- Make sure to use quick-cook grits for this recipe.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days and reheated until piping hot. As grits absorb liquid you will probably need to add a little extra liquid when reheating (stock, water or milk).
Calories: 308kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 808mg | Potassium: 355mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 480IU | Calcium: 294mg | Iron: 10.4mg