Creamy Pumpkin Pasta with Chicken
This creamy pumpkin pasta is a savory, satisfying fall dinner -- and it's ready in less than 30 minutes!
Servings 6 people
- 1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, grated, or pressed (about 1 tablespoon total)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pure pumpkin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup half-and-half or heavy cream, at room temperature
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley (or about 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes)
- ½ teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken (such as the meat from a store-bought rotisserie chicken)
- Optional garnish: additional chopped fresh parsley, rosemary, or grated Parmesan
Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of well-salted boiling water according to the package directions for al dente. Drain.
While the pasta cooks, heat the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion; cook and stir until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 1 more minute.
Stir in the pumpkin, chicken broth, cream, Parmesan cheese, parsley, rosemary, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Heat through, whisking frequently.
Add the cooked, drained spaghetti and the chicken to the sauce. Cook over medium heat, just until warmed through. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Serve on individual plates and garnish with fresh herbs or extra Parmesan cheese.
- Make it vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. It will still be rich, satisfying, and delicious!
- Substitute 1 lb. of cooked, drained Italian sausage for the chicken.
- Use leftover Thanksgiving turkey instead of chicken.
- Just about any pasta shape will work well with this pumpkin sauce. Try penne, rotini, farfalle, rigatoni, linguine, fettuccine, tortellini, or ravioli.
- Add fresh spinach to the pasta at the end (when you add the chicken). Cook and stir over low heat just until the spinach wilts.
- Sage is another delicious herb that pairs well with these ingredients. Feel free to add some to the sauce if you have it!
Serving: 1/6 of the recipe | Calories: 490kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 451mg | Potassium: 533mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 11277IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 157mg | Iron: 3mg