Roasted garlic, fresh herbs, and tomatoes create a delicious and simple pan sauce while this “No Work” Italian Baked Chicken cooks in the oven. It’s a fast, healthy, and easy weeknight dinner that your family will love!
At this point you’ve probably realized that I’m in love with dinners that don’t require much effort (see HERE and HERE, for example)! And if it’s a meal that includes both chicken and Italian flavors? Winner all around! My boys (both big and small), CANNOT get enough.
I think that one reason the family loves Italian-inspired meals so much is because they’re really just a good excuse to eat something with pasta. That’s another great thing about this particular dish — the chicken cooks in its own garlic and herb pan sauce, which you can then serve over pasta. No separate pot on the stove for sauce, no extra WORK. Just simple, real, and nutritious ingredients that come together in a delicious way.
And P.S. — if your family isn’t as obsessed with pasta as mine is, a loaf of crusty bread for dipping makes an equally tasty side dish!
[Tweet “Fast, #healthy and easy “No Work” Italian Baked #Chicken cooks in its own garlic and herb pan sauce! #dinner #FitFluential”]
"No Work" Italian Baked Chicken
- 3-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5 lbs.) (can substitute with about 8 chicken thighs)
- ¼ cup pesto sauce
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white wine (or can substitute with chicken broth)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (NOT drained)
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and whole
- 4-6 fresh basil leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Additional fresh herbs, for garnish
- Optional: cooked pasta, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk together pesto, Dijon mustard, vinegar, and wine (or chicken broth). Stir in diced tomatoes, including juices.
- Place chicken in a large baking dish (about 9-inch by 13-inch) that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with a little bit of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour sauce over chicken and toss to make sure that each piece of chicken is well coated. Place garlic cloves and fresh herbs in the dish (tucked alongside the chicken).
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes, or until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Remove garlic cloves and herb sprigs before serving, and be sure to spoon plenty of the delicious pan sauce over the chicken!
Need some other simple dinner ideas that don’t require much work? Try these: