You can never have too many zucchini recipes at this time of year, right?! With layers of zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, herbs, and Parmesan cheese, this Easy Squash and Zucchini Gratin is a healthy, clean eating side dish to enjoy for the season!
Use Up Your Summer Squash
Whether you pluck them from your own garden, buy them at the farmer's market, or pick some up at the grocery store...zucchini and squash are EVERYWHERE right now...and they're affordable! Why not combine them with some of summer's other delicious flavors (tomatoes, fresh herbs) for a simple dish that comes together quickly and easily?!
Tips And Variations For Making Zucchini Gratin;
- You could add other spices and herbs such as red pepper flakes to give the gratin an extra kick
- Try topping with a little shredded mozzarella
- You could add cooked chicken for a heartier meal
- Prep ahead of time and store in the fridge for 1-2 days
- Might not freeze well as zucchini and squash retain a lot of water
Looking for other great ways to enjoy zucchini this summer? Try these favorites:
If you’ve tried this Easy Squash and Zucchini Recipe or any other recipe on The Seasoned Mom then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest to see what I’m getting up to.
Easy Zucchini and Squash Gratin
- ¾ lb. zucchini
- ¾ lb. yellow summer squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup finely-diced onion
- 1 cup canned unsalted crushed plum tomatoes in juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Spray a medium-sized baking dish with cooking spray and set aside (I used a deep 5-inch by 9-inch dish, but a 7x11-inch dish or anything similar in size will work well).
- Slice zucchini and squash into thin rounds (I like to use a mandolin to make it fast and uniform, but it’s not necessary).
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook (stirring constantly) for about 1 minute. Add zucchini and squash to the skillet. Stir and cook until vegetables are tender (about 5-6 minutes). Remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and diced onion. Cook onion over medium heat until translucent (about 2 minutes), and then add the tomatoes (with their juice) and the basil. Simmer tomatoes about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Spread half of the zucchini/squash mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Cover with half of the tomato sauce from the saucepan, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan.
- Add another layer with the remaining zucchini, top with the remaining sauce, and finish with the last 2 tablespoons of Parmesan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the top becomes golden brown.
- Allow dish to sit for about 10 minutes before serving.