Yes, you read that right. Two ingredients! A busy mom’s dream, right?
I definitely cannot take credit for this little “recipe,” since it seems to be a fairly well-known way of lightening up a boxed cake mix. That said, I’m still excited about these sweet, tasty Two-Ingredient Pumpkin Spice Mini Muffins! They are the perfect breakfast or snack for kids (or for adults), since they taste great and still manage to sneak in some extra veggies.
This is really just a method, which can be tailored any number of ways to suit your family’s tastes. My kids love the pumpkin spice flavor, but you could also use a yellow cake mix or a chocolate cake mix instead. Want to make cupcakes? Just dollop these pumpkin spice muffins with a bit of cream cheese frosting, or cover chocolate muffins with chocolate frosting. You get the idea…the combinations are endless!
Snacking on the run. Please notice the dogs in the background, anxiously awaiting a dropped crumb. They follow this kid around like his shadow!
I used my mini muffin tins because they make a perfectly bite-sized snack for little fingers. If you prefer, you can obviously use regular muffin tins instead – just increase the baking time.
On to muffin #2, while saying, “more, more, more.”
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin (just plain pumpkin — NOT the canned pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 box (about 15.25 ounces) spice cake mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a miniature muffin tin with cooking spray or line with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, use a spatula to fold together pumpkin and cake mix until completely combined, forming a relatively thick batter.
- Using a small spoon, fill prepared muffin tins with batter.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 5 minutes and then remove muffins to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- These freeze really well, so store in an airtight container or a zip-top bag in the freezer and just thaw as necessary.