Since it’s Dr. Seuss week in our house, I thought that I would share my version of “Green Eggs and Ham.” Really, these are Cheddar and Chive Eggs with Bacon, since I prefer to take my green tint from the addition of fresh herbs, rather than from green food coloring. Something about a pile of unnaturally green glop on a plate does not seem appetizing, Sam-I-Am.
Since I can’t get my act together to serve bacon and eggs for breakfast, my family sees this meal for supper, with a side of fresh fruit and toast. However, in a perfect world, when I actually have the time and energy to leisurely prepare a multi-course breakfast, I know that these eggs (and bacon) will be at the top of my list!
And I will eat them here and there. Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE!
Green Eggs and Ham (Cheddar and Chive Eggs with Bacon)
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Melt butter in a large skillet and pour in egg mixture. Cook eggs over low heat, turning over gently with a spatula almost constantly, until desired doneness. Just before removing from heat, stir in cheese just until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in chives. Serve hot with cooked bacon.