Perfectly seasoned tender and juicy chicken is tossed with a variety of vegetables for a fast, easy, and healthy family-friendly dinner. This Velveted Chicken & Veggie Stir-Fry is high protein, less than 300 calories, and full of delicious flavor to keep you lean and satisfied!
Since we all love nutritious dinners that come together quickly, I’m excited to share a new option with you today! When AllWhites Egg Whites asked me to recreate one of their recipes for the blog, I immediately knew that this one would be a winner. My family loves Asian cuisine, and the ingredients are so fresh, flavorful, and simple.
I wasn’t familiar with “velveted” chicken until I tried this dish, but I’m a believer now! According to the AllWhites® Egg Whites website, “velveting chicken is a technique used in Chinese cooking to keep chicken breasts from overcooking. After velveting, the chicken is stir-fried with vegetables, fresh ginger and garlic to finish cooking.” Since stir-fried meat can often become chewy and dry from cooking too long in a skillet, I was excited to experiment with a new technique (which also happens to be super easy). I basically just marinated the raw chicken in a mixture of egg whites, cornstarch, sesame oil, and salt for about 30 minutes before cooking.
While the chicken is in the refrigerator, you can prep the rest of your ingredients so that you’re ready to stir once your skillet is hot! You can slice your garlic, ginger, and fresh veggies during this time. After sitting in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, I tossed my chicken in the skillet with the water and some additional oil.
The chicken is then drained and you can cook the garlic, ginger, and the rest of your veggies in the skillet for a few minutes. I took a short-cut (so that I didn’t have to chop too many veggies), and I just used a frozen stir-fry blend that included broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, water chestnuts, and mushrooms. It was delicious and it worked perfectly with this recipe. Then you just combine the ingredients with your favorite stir-fry sauce, steam the chicken in the skillet until it’s no longer pink, and dinner is ready!
This stir-fry has a satisfying 30 grams of protein and just 284 calories! It’s delicious served with brown rice (as I show here), but it’s also a nice option if you’re on a high-protein, low-carb diet because it’s filling and tasty on its own!
You’ll want to grab a carton of these egg whites to enjoy in this dish and in a variety of other meals. After all, AllWhites Egg Whites are:
– 100% liquid egg whites with no yolk
– Naturally fat-free and cholesterol-free
– Easy to find in the refrigerated dairy section of your grocery store
– Can be a healthy alternative to recipes that call for eggs
– A lean source of protein that’s easily kept on hand
– 0 PointsPlus® value per serving on the Weight Watchers® program
Velveted Chicken & Veggie Stir-Fry
- For the Chicken:
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1/4 cup AllWhites® egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- For the Vegetables:
- 3/4 lb. fresh sugar snap or snow peas*
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot
- 2 Tbsp. canola or peanut oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. grated gingerroot
- 1/3 cup favorite stir-fry sauce
- Mix chicken, AllWhites egg whites, cornstarch, sesame oil and salt in medium bowl until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add peas and carrots; cook about 30 seconds or until peas are bright green. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl; reserve hot water.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator. Bring water back to a simmer; stir in 1 tablespoon oil. Add chicken to water, stirring to separate pieces. Cook about 1 minute or until chicken is opaque. Drain chicken.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger; cook and stir until fragrant. Add the sugar snap peas and green onions; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in sauce, then scatter chicken on top. Cover and steam 1 to 2 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- *Substitute sliced asparagus, sliced red pepper, or broccoli for the sugar snap peas.
I used a 1-lb. bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables in lieu of the snap peas and carrots. It worked great!
Looking for even more recipe inspiration from AllWhites® Egg Whites? Be sure to follow AllWhites Egg Whites on Facebook, AllWhites Egg Whites on Pinterest, and check out the recipes on AllWhites Egg Whites Favorites! This high-protein product is perfect for those of us who are fitness and health minded!