This simple and delicious recipe for Slow Cooker Turkey Sloppy Joes is sure to become a family favorite. A childhood classic just got a little bit healthier and a little bit more convenient!
Don’t get me wrong: there’s nothing wrong with using a can of Manwich sauce to make the occasional Sloppy Joe. I was raised on the stuff, and my kids have become fond of it as well. But if I told you that I have a simple recipe for something even tastier, healthier, and easier, wouldn’t you want to give it a try?
This sauce is full of sweet and savory spices, and after simmering for a few hours in your Crock Pot, the flavor gets that much better! The delicious sauce also keeps the lean turkey meat nice and moist, although you can certainly substitute ground beef or chicken if that’s your preference.
We enjoy this dinner on sandwich rolls, but I also like to save the left-over meat for other purposes. It freezes perfectly! We recently used some left-overs to make Sloppy Joe Taquitos (similar to these), which were a fun twist on the normal Mexican fare. I just used the sloppy joe meat, some shredded cheddar cheese, and flour tortillas. So basically, by cooking up a pot of these Slow Cooker Turkey Sloppy Joes, you’re really getting two meals in one. I just love efficiency.
- 2 lbs. ground turkey (or substitute with equal amount of ground beef or ground chicken)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- Hamburger buns, for serving
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown turkey, onion, and garlic. Drain, and transfer meat mixture to slow cooker.
- In a large bowl combine remaining ingredients to make the sauce.
- Pour sauce over meat mixture and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Spoon meat onto sandwich buns to serve.
Recipe adapted from www.CenterCutCook.com
Looking for other delicious family-friendly dinners? Try these favorites: