For as long as I can remember, my Mom has served a ham on Christmas Day. Don’t you just love holiday traditions? It’s fun to anticipate certain treats that we might not otherwise enjoy throughout the year, and a ham (with Dad’s homemade biscuits) is definitely one of those fond childhood memories that I have continued with my own family. Even better, since Mom knows how much we enjoy the ham, we almost always come home with plenty of leftovers to stash in the freezer, to use on sandwiches, or to toss into a Slow Cooker Farmhouse Ham and Cheddar Soup!
If you’re lucky enough to have some extra ham in your kitchen after the holidays, then this is an absolute MUST-MAKE recipe! And if you don’t have any leftover ham, that’s fine too…just buy a ham steak at the grocery store and you’ll be good to go!
This soup appeals to kids and adults alike, thanks to the rich, creamy, and cheesy broth. It’s similar to Broccoli Cheddar Soup, but I’ve added plenty of extra goodies into the mix for a more filling and satisfying bowl.
Best of all, this Slow Cooker Farmhouse Ham and Cheddar Soup is an easy Crock Pot dinner that only requires about 10 minutes of prep! Loaded with veggies, potatoes, ham, and cheese, it’s a true one-pot meal that the entire family enjoys!
So go ahead…kick off your shoes, cozy up on the couch, and snuggle under a blanket while you watch a great movie with the kids. Your dinner will cook itself as you recover from the holidays!
Slow Cooker Farmhouse Ham and Cheddar Soup
Yield 15 cups
- 1 pound frozen broccoli florets
- 1 whole medium onion, Diced
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 whole carrots, diced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans cream of celery soup (NOT diluted)*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 cups grated mild Cheddar cheese
- 12 ounces (about 2 cups) diced cooked ham**
- Place broccoli, onion, potato, carrots, chicken broth, water, cream of celery soup, salt, and pepper into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for about 6-8 hours or on HIGH for about 3 hours.
- Use an immersion blender to puree a portion of the soup. You still want plenty of chunks of potatoes and veggies, so only puree some of it. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can put a cup or two of soup in a regular blender to puree (and then return back to the slow cooker when done).
- Add Velveeta, Cheddar, and ham to the slow cooker. Stir, and then place the lid back on the slow cooker and cook for another 15-20 minutes. Stir it again to make sure that the cheese is completely melted and smooth.
- Give it taste, and season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve warm, or keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
*I used Campbell’s Healthy Request.**If you don’t have leftover ham, you can purchase smoked ham steaks at the grocery store.