Since Cinco de Mayo is almost here, I have an easy and tasty Mexican-inspired recipe for you today. We love this Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup! It’s full of flavor, but it’s also very healthy. Add as many (or as few) tortilla chips as you like…it’s very customizable!
Dairy-free? Just leave off the cheese on top. The rest of this soup is lean protein (chicken), beans, veggies, and broth. Vegetarian? Skip the chicken and throw in an extra can of beans. So satisfying, so hearty, and incredibly easy!
I like to put all of the ingredients in my slow cooker and let it sit on my counter for the day. But, if you don’t have a Crock Pot (or if you just don’t have time to cook it low and slow), then no worries – it will be just as good in a pot on your stovetop.
This recipe is pretty mild, since I’m serving my soup to young kids. If you want it spicier, add an extra tablespoon or so of taco seasoning, use spicy salsa, or even add some hot sauce at the end. Again, it’s flexible!
I serve my Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with cheese quesadillas on the side – it’s the Mexican version of tomato soup with grilled cheese.
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3-4 cups cooked, chopped or shredded chicken (the meat from about 1 rotisserie chicken)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup taco sauce or salsa of your choice
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, for serving
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Bag of tortilla chips
- Combine chicken broth, chicken, corn, diced tomatoes, black beans, green chilies, taco sauce, onion, garlic powder, cumin, and taco seasoning in slow cooker. Stir to combine and add salt, to taste. If you have relatively salty chicken broth, you probably will not need any salt at all.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours.
- Crumble a handful of tortilla chips and place in bottom of individual bowls. Ladle soup over chips and sprinkle with cheese and green onions.
Looking for some more soup recipes? Try these!