Hi there! I have another super-easy weeknight meal for all of the busy moms out there. These Slow Cooker Carnitas make my entire family very happy, so I’m sure that you will love them too!
About a year and a half ago, we completely renovated our kitchen. The final result was WELL WORTH the massive effort, but it was definitely not fun to go without kitchen appliances (like an oven or a stove) for about 6-8 weeks. During that time period, I had to come up with some creative ways to feed my family dinner — even if I couldn’t cook it in my kitchen. Yes, we ate a lot of carry-out pizza! But I also used my slow-cooker a lot, because I could plug it into an outlet in my dining room and cook our dinner without any other appliances. These carnitas were created during my time of desperation, but they have remained in our regular meal rotation because they are so good and so easy!
This pork is lean (I use tenderloin), but it stays incredibly moist and flavorful in the slow cooker – none of that dry, chewy tenderloin that everyone dreads! At the end of the day, all you have to do is chop and shred the meat, and then stuff it into soft tortillas. It’s a delicious twist on a traditional taco night!
- For Carnitas:
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 2 pork tenderloins (about 2.5 pounds total)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- For serving:
- Taco shells or flour tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray and add chicken stock.
- Place pork in slow cooker and sprinkle with taco seasoning, rubbing it into the meat.
- Pour diced tomatoes (undrained) over the pork.
- Cook on low setting for 6 hours. Remove pork from slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Shred the pork with two forks and chop into small pieces. Return shredded pork to the pot and stir to combine it with the tomatoes and juices. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Serve pork in taco shells or flour tortillas with lettuce, salsa, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole.
Looking for other tasty Mexican-inspired options? Try these:
Linking up to Totally Posted Tuesdays!
Joining the Show Me What Ya Got link party!
Joining the Life Created Link Party!
Sharing on Live, Laugh, Linky Thursday!
Linking up to Family Fridays!
Sharing at the What’s Shakin’ Link Party!