Topped with fluffy, golden biscuits, this Sloppy Joe Casserole requires just a few simple ingredients for the ultimate crowd-pleasing supper!
Sloppy Joe sandwiches have been one of my favorite quick dinners since I was a child. The problem, however, is that my toddlers have trouble picking up a big, messy sandwich and biting into it while keeping it in tact. Plus, I don’t love meals that require last-minute preparation, as that always seems to be the time when my tired, hungry kids need my attention the most. By turning this classic dish into a casserole, I can prep it in advance at my convenience and then just pop it in the oven when we’re ready to eat. Even your pickiest little ones will enjoy this dinner!
- 1 (15 ounce) can Sloppy Joe sauce
- 1 lb. ground beef (or ground turkey or chicken)
- 1 small onion (or ½ of a large onion), diced
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 (16.3 ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain and return to skillet. Stir in Sloppy Joe sauce and stir over low heat until heated through.
- Pour hot beef mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Arrange biscuits on top of cheese.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown and dish is heated through.
- Note: if you want to prepare this in advance, put the beef mixture into the prepared baking dish, top with cheese, and keep in the refrigerator until ready to bake. To bake, just cover the dish and heat in a 350 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes, or until hot. Then uncover, top with biscuits, and bake for an addition 15-18 minutes.
Looking for other family-friendly casseroles? Try these: