Would you like to spoil your family (or yourself!) with a decadent-tasting treat on Valentine’s Day? These Skinny Strawberry White Chocolate Muffins are a healthy breakfast or snack that you can feel good about serving. Packed with fresh fruit and drizzled with a white chocolate glaze, this is one lightened-up recipe that will please even your toughest critics!
Since I know that Valentine’s Day brings with it loads of chocolate and candy, I wanted to come up with a recipe for a holiday treat that my family would love, but that would also add a bit of nourishment to an otherwise sugar-laden day. And while these muffins probably aren’t the definition of “health food,” they are FAR BETTER for my family than most of the other sweet options available.
The muffins smell amazing as they are baking in the oven, and my little “assistant” could not wait to get his hands (or mouth) on one of them. He followed me around while I was snapping photos, and then finally dove in for a bite before I was even finished!
Since my camera was on and ready to go, I even snapped a few behind-the-scenes pics!
These muffins got two thumbs up from my taste-testers, and they are sure to win over your family and friends as well. They would be perfect for a Valentine’s Day party (you could even make them into mini muffins for a preschool class); they would be beautiful served on a fancy tray at a holiday brunch or tea party; or they would be equally suitable for spoiling your kids before they rush out the door to school. It’s a delicious way to show your family that you love them — on Valentine’s Day or on any other day of the year!
Note: These muffins freeze beautifully, so feel free to store them in an airtight container and just defrost a few at a time as you need them. You’ve got to love those easy, make-ahead breakfasts!
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup applesauce
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- ½ cup liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- ¼ cup light butter, melted
- ¼ cup milk (or other milk alternative of your choice)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced fresh or frozen strawberries
- For the White Chocolate Glaze:
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both types of flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients except for the strawberries. Whisk until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
- Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Fill prepared muffin cups with batter.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center of muffins comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare white chocolate glaze. Melt chocolate chips with the milk in a bowl in the microwave at 70% power in 15 second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Remove muffins to wire rack. While the muffins are still warm, drizzle with white chocolate glaze.
Looking for other delicious breakfast and snack options? Check out these favorites: