A classic Southern dish gets a healthy makeover in this easy Skinny Rotisserie Chicken and Grits Casserole! The combination of chicken, cheese, and barbecue sauce makes this a family-friendly weeknight dinner — and best of all, this low-calorie meal is ready for the oven in only 15 minutes!
You just can’t beat the convenience of a rotisserie chicken that you bring home from the grocery store fully cooked and ready to go! This casserole takes advantage of any leftover or store-bought chicken to keep the prep time minimal.
Southern cooking tends to have a bad reputation as a heavy, calorie-laden cuisine that’s not particularly friendly on the waistline. Well guess what, my friends?! You can banish any notions of an unhealthy chicken and grits dinner, because this creamy, cheesy meal is about to knock your socks off!
My whole family enjoys this dinner, thanks to the mild and familiar flavors. We like to garnish our cheese grits with barbecue sauce and sliced green onion for added zest, but that’s totally optional. If you have some picky palates in your home, the casserole is also delicious served as-is! It’s simple, easy comfort food that’s ready when you need it — FAST!
Skinny Rotisserie Chicken and Grits Casserole
Yield 6 (1-cup servings)
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- ¾ cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (2 ounces) finely-grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 ½ cups (about 9 ounces) diced rotisserie chicken
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine milk and broth in a medium heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Gradually add grits and salt to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in Cheddar, butter, and cream cheese until smooth.
- Stir in egg whites and chicken.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, or until set.
- Just before serving, drizzle with barbecue sauce and garnish with green onions.
Adapted from MyRecipes.com
Looking for more healthy and family-friendly dinners? Try these favorites: