Tired of zucchini yet? Not me! Flavored with fresh herbs and a creamy ricotta filling, these cheesy Pesto Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups are a light and healthy gluten-free summer side dish or vegetarian entree. Trust me — you’ll never miss the pasta!
Hey, hey! I’ve got one more zucchini recipe to share with you this season and it’s a good one! Plus, it’s super-easy and very versatile…making it a great way to use up some garden fresh veggies in a different way.
Since my garden has been overflowing with herbs (and basil in particular), I have stashed away multiple batches of homemade pesto. In an effort to use some of it last weekend, I put together these roll-ups to serve as a side dish when Keith was grilling fish for dinner. They were a huge hit!
Whether you’re watching your carb intake or just trying to include more vegetables in your diet, these Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups are a must-try this summer! It’s a great vegetarian main dish that still offers plenty of filling protein, or you can serve smaller portions and pair them with grilled chicken or seafood. Oh, and the leftovers (cold…straight out of the tupperware container) are pretty darn good, too! Don’t ask me how I know that…
Pesto Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced thin
- ½ cup marinara sauce, plus additional for topping
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pesto
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and spread a thin layer of marinara sauce evenly in the bottom. Set aside.
- Spray a grill or indoor grill pan with cooking spray and grill the zucchini slices for about 3 minutes per side, or until soft enough to roll.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a medium bowl, stir together ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, pesto, salt, and egg until completely combined.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon of filling onto each slice of zucchini, then roll. Place seam-side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Place an additional dollop of marinara sauce on top of each roll up.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 15 minutes (or until ricotta filling is heated through and set). Garnish with additional Parmesan if desired.
If you love quick, easy, and healthy recipes, check out my new eCookbook — Fast, Fresh & Fit! It’s filled with 30 of our family’s favorite recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner…and they all come together with very little prep. You can learn more HERE!
Looking for other delicious ways to enjoy zucchini this season? Try these favorites: