You only need a few pantry ingredients and about 10 minutes to prepare Mom’s Easy Apple Coffee Cake! The warmly spiced batter is loaded with fresh apples and is finished with a cinnamon streusel topping — making it the perfect breakfast or snack to share with friends and family on a cool fall morning!
I found this simple coffee cake recipe among a stash of old index cards that my mom gave me a couple of years ago. It stood out at the time because of the short ingredient list and the cinnamon streusel topping. After all, if a description includes the words “cake” “coffee” and/or “streusel,” it’s bound to be good!
After Casey and I made a trip to the apple orchard last Friday with his class, I knew what I wanted to do with the extra fruit! Fortunately, the coffee cake only requires a few pantry staples and it’s ready from start-to-finish in 30 minutes! Now THAT’s my kind of baking!
This coffee cake would be an ideal snack to serve to last-minute guests when you don’t have time to run out to the store. It would also be a nice light breakfast with a mug of coffee on Thanksgiving morning because you can prepare it ahead of time. Serve it with eggs, yogurt, or fruit for a more complete meal. The coffee cake is only slightly sweet so you won’t feel as though you’re eating dessert at 7 a.m. (not that there’s anything wrong with that…).
- For the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose baking mix (such as Bisquick or Immaculate Organic Pancake and Waffle Mix)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (or you can substitute with ¾ teaspoon cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon nutmeg)
- 1 cup finely diced peeled apple
- For the Topping:
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking mix
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice (or substitute with 2 teaspoons cinnamon)
- 2 tablespoons very cold butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Prepare the topping first: In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup sugar, 2 tablespoons baking mix, 2 teaspoons apple pie spice, and butter. Use a fork, a pastry cutter, or your fingers to cut the butter into the rest of the ingredients until the topping is crumbly and resembles wet sand. Set aside.
- For the cake, combine 2 cups of baking mix, 2 tablespoons sugar, egg, milk, and apple pie spice. Use an electric mixer to beat for about 30 seconds. Fold in the apple.
- Spread batter into prepared baking dish. The batter will be sticky, so I like to wet my hands with a little bit of water and then use my hands to press the batter evenly into the pan. The water on your hands prevents them from sticking.
- Sprinkle topping over batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
If you’re looking for even more quick-prep recipe ideas, be sure to check out my cookbook Fast, Fresh & Fit! It’s full of our family’s favorite easy options for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Learn more HERE.