Light, fresh, and easy! This 5-Ingredient, 5-Minute Lemon Garlic Cod is an affordable and healthy dinner that the entire family will enjoy! Gluten-free, low-carb, and high in protein, the simple meal will suit just about everyone around the table.
The seafood counter at the grocery store can kind of be an interesting place. It’s not like picking up chicken breasts or ground beef in the meat department where you generally know exactly what you’re getting each time. Instead, the seafood counter is more of a crap shoot. What will be available? What will be on sale? And how the heck will I prepare whatever I come home with?
While we love seafood and we know that it’s good for us, I often find myself stuck in the rut of grilling salmon or baking shrimp each week. We stick with what we know and with what is consistently available — often missing out on plenty of other amazing options!
When I recently found cod at an incredibly low price behind the seafood counter at our local store, I was determined to find a new and delicious way to prepare this versatile white fish (other than the classic frozen fish sticks)!
The end result was this easy Lemon Garlic Cod that only requires 5 simple ingredients and about 5 minutes of prep! The fish is tender and mild (perfect for little kids who don’t want a strong “fish” taste); richly flavored with garlic and butter; and freshened-up with a hefty dose of lemon and herbs. The flavor and texture just can’t be beat, making this cod a simple solution for your next visit to the seafood counter!
5-Ingredient, 5-Minute Lemon Garlic Cod
Yield 4 servings
Light, fresh, and easy! This 5-Ingredient, 5-Minute Lemon Garlic Cod is an affordable and healthy dinner that the entire family will enjoy! Gluten-free, low-carb, and high in protein, this simple meal will suit just about everyone around the table.
1 ½ lbs. cod (or other similar white fish)
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Optional garnish: fresh herbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season fish with garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Pour oil into a large oven-proof skillet to coat the bottom of the pan (about 2 tablespoons). Heat over medium heat. Add butter, let it melt.
- Place fish in the oil and butter, skin side down. Cook until bottom is lightly browned (about 3-4 minutes).
- Use a spatula to gently turn the fish over.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for about 8 more minutes, or until fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.
- Garnish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs, and serve.
Cooking Just for Two? You can easily cut all of the ingredients in half and just cook about 3/4 lb. of fish. The cooking process and time will remain the same.
Serving Size 1/4th of recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 14.2 g
Saturated Fat 4.8 g
Cholesterol 109.1 mg
Sodium 172.3 mg
Total Carbohydrates 1.3 g
Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 38.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.