This healthy dinner comes together in about 20 minutes with just a few simple ingredients! My Island Teriyaki Chicken Skillet is a clean eating meal that’s less than 300 calories — and the whole family loves it!
Chicken, broccoli, and pineapple…oh, my!
If you’re like me, then you probably love a dish that involves plenty of flavors and textures. No boring chicken breast, here! Instead, I’ve added the salty-and-sweet components of a teriyaki sauce with plenty of fruits, veggies, and protein to keep us full, satisfied, and healthy!
My boys love this dish served over rice, but I don’t even think that you really need it. It’s awesome on its own, wrapped in a tortilla for lunch the next day (guilty as charged!), or wrapped up in lettuce leaves for a lighter option.
It’s an easy, fast, and DELICIOUS healthy weeknight dinner that you can feel good about!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained but reserve juice for sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets
- For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice (reserved when draining canned pineapple)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (can substitute with about ½ teaspoon dry ginger)
- Optional: rice, for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, water, and cornstarch until the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Whisk in remaining sauce ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir for about 5-6 minutes, or until browned and no longer pink inside.
- Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Pour sauce into the skillet and bring to a gentle boil, whisking the entire time. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until thickens. Keep your eye on it and whisk regularly so that it doesn’t burn (this only takes 2-4 minutes).
- Meanwhile, microwave broccoli according to package instructions.
- When sauce reaches desired thickness, add cooked chicken back to the skillet, along with the drained pineapple chunks and the cooked broccoli. Stir until warmed through and coated in sauce.
- Serve over rice, if desired.
Looking for other easy, family-friendly dinner options? Try these: