This lightened-up Greek Yogurt Chocolate Zucchini Cake is fudgy, moist, and full of rich chocolate flavor! It’s ready in minutes (thanks to help from a cake mix), it only requires 4 ingredients, and it’s a healthier way to indulge your sweet tooth. Best of all, this cake is 100% kid-approved!
It’s zucchini season, right?! When I shared my delicious recipe for savory Zucchini Pie last week, I promised that I would also be sharing a sweet way to enjoy summer’s most prolific green veggie…and here it is!
It’s amazing how creative I can become when I’m staring at a countertop full of zucchini (from my own garden AND from my neighbor’s garden). I have been tossing it into everything! Including cake. 🙂
In addition to zucchini, this recipe only calls for 3 other ingredients…all of which are pantry staples in my home. I threw this together on a whim, but my little experiment turned out so well that I decided to share it here!
I knew it was a winner when the boys devoured the cake (and asked for more). Trust me: if you use the finest size grate to shred your zucchini, it is absolutely undetectable in the final product. The only taste is pure, rich chocolate!
The first cake that I made disappeared so fast that I have since baked two more. It’s that good…and that easy! You don’t need a mixer or any fancy equipment…just one bowl!
Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream to make it feel extra special…and then smile to yourself because you know that your family is actually enjoying some green veggies, protein, and calcium with their snack. Nothing wrong with being a little bit sneaky, in my opinion!
- 1 box moist-style chocolate cake mix (15.25 - 18.25 oz.)
- 1 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup finely-shredded zucchini, squeezed to remove most of the liquid
- Optional: for serving, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, and/or sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine cake mix with yogurt in a large bowl and add milk. Whisk thoroughly, and then stir in zucchini.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly in pan before cutting and serving.
- Note: Make sure that you squeeze the zucchini pretty well. If the batter is too moist, the cake will be dense and flat after baking.
Looking for more lightened-up sweet treats that are perfect for summer? Try these favorites: