They say that spring is coming, and with warmer weather this weekend I guess I believe it. But that 6 inches of snow we received in Virginia last week? It made me want to cuddle up in a blanket indoors and eat warm, comforting dishes like this Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole.
This is the ultimate in kid-friendly dinners! It’s mild in taste and it combines some of my boys’ favorites: broccoli, chicken, and rice! I appreciate the fact that I can put it together in advance and either leave it in my refrigerator until I’m ready to bake it, or stick it in the freezer for a much later date.
To keep the hands-on prep time minimal, feel free to use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and some frozen broccoli florets (no chopping required!). I like the baby florets that I get in the frozen section since they are the perfect size for my little guys’ mouths. One bag goes into this entire recipe, and I just steam them in the microwave for half of the indicated time. That way the broccoli is just barely crisp-tender and doesn’t get too mushy when it’s baked in the oven later.
One additional short-cut that you can take? Pick up a pack of the microwaveable Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice. You don’t even need to heat it up before you add it to this dish. Since it will cook some in the oven, you can just take the rice from the packet to the casserole without any additional steps. If you have some left-over rice from another meal, that’s always a great option too.
Enjoy friends! Whether it’s cold or warm outside, this dish is one that will stay in our regular rotation!
Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole
Yield 4 -6
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 cups small broccoli florets, cooked until crisp-tender
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine first 7 ingredients.
- Place chicken mixture in prepared casserole dish and top with shredded Italian cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes (or until heated through and bubbly).
Looking for some other great family-friendly chicken dinners? Try these: