The perfect make-ahead healthy summer breakfast: Berry Shortcake Overnight Protein Oats! In this quick and easy recipe, soft and chewy cake batter-flavored oats are combined with fresh berries for a nutritious, high protein breakfast or snack that tastes like an indulgent dessert. This is summer produce at its finest!
Hi, friends! With July 4th right around the corner, I thought that it would be fun to share another simple and delicious red, white and blue recipe with you. But truth be told, this overnight oatmeal is a staple in our diet year-round. It’s too good to save for one holiday!
Considering how often we enjoy this easy, healthy make-ahead breakfast, it’s kind of hard to believe that I have only shared one other recipe for Overnight Oats on this blog (and it was a looooong time ago!). While these Banana Nut Overnight Oats are delicious, I have since experimented with zillions of other flavor combinations (from chocolate, to peanut butter, and everything in between). I have to say, though — today’s recipe is right up there on my list as one of my favorites.
If you’re not familiar with overnight oatmeal, let me fill you in. You basically just mix all of the ingredients in a jar overnight and allow the uncooked oats to absorb a lot of the liquid, making them plump, tender, and just slightly chewy. It’s the refrigerated version of hot cooked oatmeal, which is why it’s especially great for the summer. Most importantly, though…it’s convenient!
I like to prep a couple of jars at a time and leave them in the refrigerator during the week. Then I can pull a jar out when I need a quick breakfast, lunch, or snack on our busiest days. The oats are sweet, refreshing, and packed with protein and fiber — which means that this meal sticks to your ribs and doesn’t leave you hungry an hour later!
I also love that this dish is fancy enough to serve to guests! Are you having visitors in your home for the Fourth of July? This would be a great breakfast to make ahead of time so that your guests can help themselves to a treat when they wake up in the morning. They would also be the perfect addition to some eggs if you’re making brunch. The individual jars just add to the fun!
And if you’re feeling just a little bit fancy, give your oats a squirt of whipped cream just before serving. I wouldn’t have it any other way! After all, these are “Berry Shortcake” oats, which means that they NEED some of that creamy, fluffy, delicious topping!
Berry Shortcake Overnight Protein Oats
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
- ¼ cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, cashew milk, or other milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon sweetener (honey, stevia, sugar, or other sweetener of your choice)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon imitation butter flavoring (optional)
- ¼ cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup blueberries
- Optional: whipped cream for topping
- In a small bowl, stir together first 8 ingredients (oats through butter flavoring).
- Place half of the oat mixture in a small bowl or a large mason jar. Top with half of the berries. Add the remaining oat mixture over the berries and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight (or for a few hours) so that the oats soften and absorb the liquid.
- Just before serving, top with remaining berries and whipped cream. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Dashing Dish.
Looking for more healthy and easy make-ahead breakfast options? Try these favorites: